.

.

Wednesday, November 6, 2013

Bald Peanuts

I've learned a lot after moving to the South. Mainly, that the people here have their own language, and it only slightly resembles English. Case in point:

Walking past a goober shack:
 
Southern Bubba (calling out): Hey, missy. Jew want sum bald pea-a-nuts?

Me (turning to Jay, whispering): Why does he think I'm Jewish?

Jay (absently): Jewish? What are you talking about?

Me: He said, 'Jew, want some bald peanuts?'

Jay: He meant, 'Do you want some bald peanuts.'

Me: Are the words 'do' and 'you' really too difficult to say?

Jay: That's how they talk down here. So, d'ya want to try some bald peanuts? They're kind of an acquired taste.


Me: Weird. I thought all peanuts were bald.

Jay: No, they come a lot of different ways.


Me (fascinated and a bit scared): All the peanuts I've ever eaten were bald, so I should probably be brave and try the hairy ones; just to say that I did. Can we buy them here?

Jay: Hairy what?

Me: Hairy peanuts.

Jay: What are you talking about?


Me: Hairy peanuts. Or unshaved peanuts. Or whatever they call non-bald peanuts.

Jay (smirking): They're boiled peanuts.


Me: They boil the hair off?

Jay: There is no hair.

Me: Well, then, I mean the peanut fuzz or the peanut fur.


Jay (snickering): There isn't any hair, fuzz, or fur on peanuts.

Me (exasperated): Well, whatever you call the stuff that's being boiled off of them so that they become bald peanuts.


Jay (laughing): There isn't anything to be boiled off. We're not saying bald; that's how they pronounce boiled down here. The guy asked if you wanted some boiled peanuts.

Me: No, he didn't. He said bald. (Turning to the man) Excuse me, sir? What kind of peanuts did you say you had?


Southerner: I got me sum bald pea-a-nuts here. Jew want sum?

Me (triumphantly to Jay): See!

Jay (almost on the ground from laughing so hard): Youhashodkha!

Me: Quit laughing, and make some sense.

Jay (still gasping): Hey, sir, you mind explaining to my wife how y'all fix the peanuts?

Southerner (taking five minutes to scratch his head and hitch up his pants): Wall, fist they need soaked. We soak them there pea-a-nuts in cold wattah fer 'bout an ar. Then we het up a pot of wattah 'til it be ba-eling. Then we throw salt an' a mess o' pea-a-nuts and ba-el it fer 'bout fer ars. That there's how we fix us sum bald pea-a-nuts.

Me: So, the peanuts aren't hairy or furry before they hit the boiling water?

Southerner (looking at Jay as if I'm drunk on moonshine): Ma'am? What chew talkin' 'bout?

Me (meekly): Never mind. I'll have some 'bald pea-a-nuts,' please.





Verse of the day:  (Job 2:10) “Should we accept only good things from the hand of God and never anything bad?" Well, I'll accept anything from the hand of God, but a boiled peanut (shaved or unshaved) from the hand of Jay is something I now know to strenuously avoid. Acquired taste? Yeah, no, I don't see why anyone would want to acquire it.

To read why Southerners move at a much slower pace than the rest of the world, click here.

8 comments:

  1. Oh man, THAT brings up memories!! I was in Charleston with my two fun, sweet friends. We went to a super famous restaurant, and were served "bolled paynuts." (In SC, there's a different sort of drawl going on.) I was so confused as to what the point was. After much prodding, I tried one. EWWWW!!! It tasted like it came out of the washing machine--during the wash cycle!! My Southern sisters munched them down with the same comment to me: "It's an acquired taste." ;-)

    Lora

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm like WHY acquire the taste? WHY? But it really sounds like they're saying "bald."

      Delete
  2. But what did Jay mean when he said "Youhashodkha!" ???? :-D Linda

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I assume he meant, "You are an amazingly attractive, brilliant, and witty woman. I am in awe of you."

      Delete
  3. GUFFAWING!!! I knew what he meant right away only because how you spelled it sounds how my Spanglish family talks!! but I SO see why you misunderstood! hahahahahahahahahah... Sounds like you experience culture shock often. hahahahah... Right where you are. But I did learn something... NEVER new they "bald" peanuts! I can't eat them anyway, but it is interesting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. soo... I keep forgetting to add my name so you know who commented... celita

      Delete
    2. I'm always learning something new down here...and often looking quite foolish doing it! Gotta love the South!

      Delete